- Submission website will open October 19, 2018
- Abstract Submission Deadline: January 11, 2019
- There will be no extensions this year, all abstracts must be in by this date
- All abstracts must be submitted electronically: https://pva.am.pesgce.com
Submit Abstract Electronically
The Healthcare Summit and Expo 2019 will focus on the novel concepts, treatments, strategies, and methods to promote excellence and achieve State of the Art Healthcare for veterans and others living with spinal cord injuries and diseases.
The mission of Healthcare Summit and Expo 2019 is to bring together professionals across the continuum of care who are treating individuals living with spinal cord injury (SCI) and dysfunction, multiple sclerosis (MS) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) to share new clinical information, research data and innovative initiatives to improve care and support clinicians in their pursuit of maintaining their specialty certification and/or license to practice.
To enhance interdisciplinary care across the lifespan of individuals with SCI and diseases;
To assess advances in the delivery of healthcare services;
To present innovative models of care management;
To improve practice skills of clinicians, surgeons, researchers, and administrators;
To discuss evidence based medicine;
To expand the body of knowledge about spinal cord injury and diseases and their medical complications and consequences;
To identify cutting edge research priorities
To present data on new developments in assessment, treatment and health policy.
Healthcare Summit + Expo 2019 provides an excellent opportunity to learn from and network with healthcare professionals working across the continuum in spinal cord injury and disease care and treatment:
- Physicians and Physician Assistants
- Nurses and Nurse Practitioners
- Psychologists, Social Workers and Rehabilitation Counselors
- Physical, Occupational and Recreational Therapists
- Clinical Researchers and Scientists
- Healthcare Administrators
Abstracts are intended to represent clinical practice, research or health policy content related to spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, ALS or other spinal cord disorders.
All submitted abstracts must meet CME/CE accreditation standards to be approved for credit. Abstracts of presentations should be balanced and free of commercial bias. Commercial content, product endorsements, or service related advertisements are not permitted.
Topic Categories for your Submission
Topics should address clinical treatment, research, health policy or program development in the areas of:
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Other Spinal Cord Dysfunction
Guidelines for Submitting Abstracts
- Abstract title should be no longer than 15 words.
- Abstract content should not exceed 500 words.
- The abstract must include three (3) measurable learning objectives using action verbs; the learner will describe, explain, discuss, etc.
- All contributing authors/presenters must complete:
- Signed disclosure form
- Biosketch or brief CV, not to exceed two pages
- Identify any commercial interest or sources of funding, if applicable.
Only results of completed research should be submitted.
Abstracts should include a concise description of the presentation: including demographics, treatment/intervention, results/outcomes, and clinical significance, when applicable. In the text, an abbreviated word or term must be spelled out at first use with its abbreviation or acronym in parentheses, i.e. Multiple Sclerosis, (MS).
Abstracts will not be returned for editing or proofing. Authors are responsible for ensuring that the text is accurate, concise, clear, and includes information about all sources of funding, if applicable.
Healthcare Summit Abstract Submission Presentation Formats
- to all attendees, invited
- to all attendees, cross cutting topics of interest
- to smaller groups of attendees, diagnosis or specialty specific
Electronic Poster Presentation
Presentations may be on research or clinical issues and must be 30 or 75 minutes in length, with an additional 15 minutes allotted for questions and discussion (total 45 or 90 minutes). A 45-minute presentation will typically have a single speaker, maximum of two. A 90-minute presentation may have one, two or three speakers. Information on all contributing authors must be included in the abstract submission; however, only the presenters will be listed in the Healthcare Summit + Expo 2019 program.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU INCLUDE THE PROPOSED DURATION OF YOUR PRESENTATION, INCLUDING TIME FOR QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AT THE END OF YOUR ABSTRACT.
Platform Presentation Abstract Submission Requirements
Background: Brief introduction, statement of objectives or hypothesis
Design: Setting, study or treatment design, follow‐up, outcomes
Methods: Study or treatment population, selection criteria, essential features of interventions/observations, statistical analysis
Results: Data analysis should indicate findings in narrative or table format and include confidence intervals, and statistical significance
Conclusion(s): Supported by evidence, include clinical relevance and application
The abstract should include a summary of information to be presented, including major themes, expanded version of learning objectives, outline of issues/subjects to be discussed, an overview of case studies, points to be illustrated, and principles to be discussed during the interactive session.
Electronic Poster Presentations
A poster is a visually formatted presentation of a topic using charts, graphs, illustrations, and photographs to supplement a written narrative. The topic may be clinically or research based, and describe new techniques, procedures, or technologies. It provides a visual forum for one‐to‐one discussion with the presenter. The presenter must be available at designated times, as specified in the program, to discuss information with attendees.
Presenters will have the opportunity to discuss pertinent issues highlighted in the poster with attendees during the viewing sessions. Interactive viewing sessions, with presenter present, are scheduled during the Healthcare Summit + Expo 2019. Posters will be available for viewing throughout the meeting.
Electronic Poster Presentation: Abstract Submission Requirements
The abstract must contain all of the following elements:
- Problem statement,
- Data analysis,
- Significance and conclusion
Please keep in mind that reference to equipment, devices, or pharmaceutical products must use the correct manufacturer, trade, and generic names; appropriate acknowledgements for financial support must be declared; in all cases, patient anonymity must be protected in accordance with the HIPAA Privacy Law.
Abstracts will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Innovation and Originality of topic/content
- Clarity and organization of proposal/presentation
- Importance and applicability to Summit audience
- Presenter experience/expertise in topic area
- Applicability across settings
- Absence of commercial content
All applicants will be notified of proposal approval / disapproval by March 15, 2019. If you are unable to accept the session assignment, you must contact PVA by April 1, 2019 at Summit@pva.org.
Final PowerPoint slides of your presentation must be submitted, using the online system, on or before June 20, 2019. PVA plans to make PDF versions of the PowerPoint slides available to Healthcare Summit + Expo 2019 attendees.
Submit Abstract Electronically
PVA will provide the following reimbursement to help defray expenses for accepted session speaker(s):
- Summit registration fee waiver
Note: one registration per poster, up to two registrations per 45 minute session, three per 90 minute session
- Three (3) night hotel accommodation at the Renaissance Orlando SeaWorld Hotel.
Note: one person for a poster, up to two people per 45 minute session, three people per 90 minute session.
- Up to $500 airfare/mileage reimbursement per 45 minute session. Up to $750 airfare/mileage reimbursement per 90 minute session. Reimbursements are by session, if there is more than one speaker the amount must be shared. Up to $250 airfare/mileage reimbursement for a Poster.
Program-related questions: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical assistance: please contact: PESG technical support at email@example.com.